June 2019 Update
Cool Tools has come to an end, not just for this year, but forever. The 2018-19 school year was the last year the workshop was offered. The website content will remain relevant for some time, but won’t be updated.
It’s been an enormous pleasure working with so many dedicated, enthusiastic and innovative educators over the many years I’ve been coordinating this workshop. Close to 1,000 librarians, classroom teachers, administrators and more have participated over the years. Thank you for all you’ve taught me! Never stop learning!
2018-2019 Learning Topics
Cool Tools 101 – for first time participants
If you’re a first time participant, please make sure you do the Thing 1: Getting Started lesson first. Beyond that, these first 10 topics might be of most interest to you, though you can also pick from any of the topics below. You choose, it’s your learning experience!
Before you start: READ THE FAQ PAGE!!!
(lessons will have live links after they’re updated – aiming to have them all done by late November)
- Thing 1: Getting Started – Please do this topic first if you’ve never participated before.
- Thing 2: Student Blogging & Writing
- Thing 3: Photo Fun
- Thing 4: Twitter, Facebook & Personal Learning Networks
- Thing 5: Audio Tools
- Thing 6: Digital Storytelling
- Thing 7: Presentation Tools
- Thing 8: Curation Tools
- Thing 9: Research Databases
- Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja
More Cool Tools – for anyone
- Thing 11: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship
- Thing 12: News Literacy
- Thing 13: Augmented & Virtual Reality
- Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun
- Thing 15: BreakoutEDU – guest instructor: Amy Carpenter
- Thing 16: Digital Portfolios for Students
- Thing 17: eBook Creation
- Thing 18: Student Assessment & Feedback Tools
- Thing 19: Screencasting & Screen Sharing
- Thing 20: Social Reading & “Book Stuff”
- Thing 21: Supporting English Language Learners – guest instructor: Diana Wendell
- Thing 22: Teaching & Learning with Primary Sources
- Thing 23: New AASL Standards
- Thing 24: Google Drawings
- Thing 25: Green Screen Fun
- Thing 26: Media Skills
- Thing 27: Note-Taking Tools & Skills
- Thing 28: Anything Goes Google
- Thing 29: App-palooza!
- Thing 30: DIY – You Pick – Have a topic or tool you want to explore? Go for it! You can repeat this one if you like.
- Final Reflection – Everyone is encouraged to submit a final reflection and you’ll receive the same 2 hours of PD credit as you would for the other lessons.
We don’t plan to update the following topics.
These topics are still relevant and very interesting. The content was updated for the 2017-18 workshop and is still be available if you want to explore any these topics. You could use these as the basis for the Thing 30: DIY – You Pick lesson
- Infographics & Data Visualization (updated for 2017/18)
- Coding (updated for 2017/18)
- Create a Resource Guide (updated for 2017/18)
- Emerging Tech: Scanning the Horizon (updated for 2017/18)
- Control the Info Flood with RSS & Feed Readers (updated for 2017/18)
- Evidence Based Practice – Getting Started (updated for 2017/18)
- Evidence Based Practice – Collecting Data (updated for 2017/18)
- Taking the Lead: Connecting with your Stakeholders (updated for 2017/18)
- Annual Reports – Make them Matter & Report More Often! (updated for 2017/18)
- Flash Cards, Quiz Games and more (updated for 2017/18)
- Web Presence (including LibGuides) (updated for 2017/18)
- Makerspaces (updated for 2017/18)
- Online Learning & DIY PD (updated for 2017/18)
- OER – Open Educational Resources (updated for 2017/18)
- Power up your Browser! (updated for 2017/18)
- Global Connections & Collaborations (updated for 2017/18)
- Productivity Tools (updated for 2017/18)
- Geolocation & Mapping Tools (updated for 2017/18)
- Collaborating, Connecting, Sharing (updated for 2017/18)